Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Avalyn's Big Girl Room

After several sleepless months with Cambria in her room, we finally decided it was time and move Avalyn to the guest room in the basement. I was a little concerned about moving her down there, so I decided we would dress the room up just for her. The theme she wanted was "Fancy Birdie Fashion room"-Fancy is probably one of her favorite words thanks to Fancy Nancy (the fancier the better), Birdie from one of her favorite books BIRDIE'S BIG GIRL SHOES, Fashion because she LOVES it. I decided, since we will be moving in the next year and the green on the walls worked fine, I would just do some canvases and save the mural for the new house- there will be a mural of shoes behind her bed in the new room! Decorating kids rooms is definitely a passion of mine and I love that she LOVES her new room!

The art work was based on the art work in Birdie's Big Girl Shoes (by Sujean Rim), Avalyn picked out the shoes and dress and I took the liberty to make Birdie look like Avalyn with darker hair and big green eyes.

The lamp I found at TJ Max and I glued some beads to it- everything had to be as "Fancy" as possible;) Avalyn picked out the Barbie sheets from Pottery Barn Kids.

The Bed- minus the head board. I bought a striped slip cover for the head board, but Kyle and I haven't had the time to build the head board to go under the slip cover. The bead spread is PB Teen, they sold out of it online, but I was thrilled to find it on ebay along with the 3 pillows! It is such a soft quilt and I put a light pink fussy blanket under it (it can get cold in the basement).

The head board looks like the striped bed skirt- one of these days we will finish it. The mirror I covered in feathers, flowers and butterflies- she was always coming into my closet to look in the full size mirror, so I put one in her room.

The Dresser- this was her old dresser (a hand-me down from my family). I had painted the gingham on it in Gavin's nursery and it's been in the girl's room upstairs.
I painted flowers to match the bedding and bought new hard ware from Hobby Lobby.

Avalyn's paintings- these were a collaboration between the two of us! She painted the background. She picked the shoe and purse she liked. I painted the black outline. She filled in the black with whatever she wanted. I added some highlights. She absolutely LOVES to paint, probably one of her favorite things to do and she was so excited to do these for her new room.
The window Treatments- one $3 clearance curtain I hot glued flowers to, one $4 clearance white curtain with flowers (to go behind the green and white curtain), 2 rows of beaded curtains ($5 each on clearance)= a very FANCY window Treatment!
We moved the kitchen and all the play clothes (they are in a chest in the closet) into her room. The kitchen was constantly being thrown down by Cambria in the play room, so to save it we put it under the window. The Play clothes were just making the playroom messier and Avalyn is the only one who uses them.
I can't wait to finish off this fun room in our next house, but for now it is great and she is so very happy. She keeps her room clean all the time and she is so proud! Everyone is sleeping much better:)

5 comments:

The Perkins said...

WOW it looks amazing and I love what you did with the dresser. I can't wait until you move here and then we move and you can decorate Briley and Kimber's new rooms.

The Skains Family said...

I love it!!!! So cute. All of it. I hope we are neighbors we are someday so I can hire you to do all my girls rooms.

Samantha said...

Sarah, your skills never cease to amaze me!! So perfect! And, I'm with your other friends... come do my entire house please!! :)

Robin said...

Wow! Looks great- you did a great job! I love it! Hope all is well in NE.... we are loving CO, but miss Omaha too.

Unknown said...

Do you sell your art work or take custom orders? I love the picture of your daughter with dress shoes.